11 March 2006

Very busy day so far! I woke up at 5am to make sure I made the football only to then realise that, of course, I`m 9 hours ahead not behind and the match won`t be on until about midnight tonight. Not being one to waste a rare day awake early I headed up through Akasaka to the Imperial Gardens where I had the unusual experience of being too early for something and had to go sit in the Hibiya Park for half an hour until the gardens opened.

The gardens themselves were interesting but not astounding. They were all rebuilt after the war due to the fire-bombing and they really don`t look or feel old. One tower of the original still stands and dates back to the 17th Century though...

After that I headed to the Imetsurika Museum of Art and saw some 12th and 13th century japanese screens that were simply amazing. Wasn`t allowed to take any photos unfortunately! Then I moved on to the Sony centre and played with the next generation gadgets being shown off by some stunning japanese women. Couldn`t walk anymore so took the subway back to the hotel and now I`m going to get some rest because my calves are killing me! Will put some photos up though...

This cracked me up - it`s in the lobby in my hotel. "Hamburg, via Grimsby! Sign me up right away my dear...."

The double bridge leading to the Imperial Palace. Not actually allowed near it though.

Ever wondered how they get those small trees with the big canopy? No, probably not. But this is how they do it anyway - with bits of string! This was taken in Hibiya park in the centre of Tokyo.


And because I`m obviously a sucker for cats, here`s one of the ginger feral moggies that live in the park. They miaow differently over here.

A shot from the site of the famous 5-storey donjon built in 1673, revealing a lawn so dry and cut so short that Freddie Flintoff would give his right arm to bowl on it. Though, being right handed, he`d probably struggle to subsequently get wickets. Unless we were playing the aussies.... :)

It`s Tokyo, it`s Spring, it`s cherry blossom time! Don`t ask me why they`re propping the tree up though....

The remaining original bit of the keep, and just about the only old looking building I`ve seen so far. When those yanks wanna burn something, it stays burnt....


And last, but not least, arty shot alert!

Talking of alarms, the fire engines over here have a siren almost identical to our Nuclear Attack air raid warning - and when one of the buggers comes screaming past your window at 2am you don`t half wake up in a cold sweat, I can tell you... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home