13 October 2005

Didn't get in until 3pm today after getting very little sleep last night (so looks like I'll be losing half a day this week then). Went to the pub after work to watch the England match which was suprisingly good and got home early enough to watch Lost (again - I watched it on E4 on sunday but missed a section in the middle when girl 1 came home) which was when the fun started in earnest....

Earlier in the day I'd had a text from my sister to say she was being induced, swiftly followed by a call from my brother-in-law to say that psycho mother has (despite agreeing that she wouldn't) decided to go over this weekend. Brother-in-law, being german, had taken his paternity leave early so that he could look after my niece while my sister was in labour - only for my sister to be 9 days late. Seeing as he has to go back to work in southern germany on monday he'd quite like to have this weekend with just his family. I think this is fair enough. Psycho mother, on the other hand, thinks she's been deliberately excluded and banned from going (because she looks after my grandmother this would be the only weekend before December that she could get away). She says she won't be any trouble and will only be there for an hour - but she's severely disabled and doesn't speak german so brother-in-law will have to pick her up from the airport and organise a hotel for her etc. etc.

So donning my traditional blue helmet I call psycho mother to persuade her that a) she's not being picked on as both me and my dad have both been asked not to go over this weekend as well, and b) to respect the wishes of my sister and brother-in-law. I get the phoned slammed down on me through floods of tears. It's probably just as well that I'm not a real peace-keeper... :)

Fast forward to the middle of Lost and pretty much to the second of where I started to miss bits on Sunday I get a couple of calls to say that my sister was being taken in for a caesarian (or as my sister puts it - exiting through the sunroof). I have a couple more beers and go to bed. Lucy Rae (presumably named as a mark of respect after the Sunderland midfielder Alex Rae) is born about 1am this morning and the next three hours are spent calling, texting and answering calls from all the extended members of the family (because no-one knows who's called whom, everyone calls everyone). I fall asleep about 6am and frankly cannot be arsed to wake up and go to work until this afternoon....

So, in summary:

1) Gained another niece. I've been promised a nephew next time.
2) I still don't know why Clare the pregnant aussie has been kidnapped in Lost.
3) England have qualified as top of their group and are likely to be a top seed at the world cup.
4) I'm still tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home