20 September 2008

Golf ball kills my telly

So there I am, settling in for a minor 72-hour Ryder Cup marathon that was going well for me (though not for Europe), when Ian Poulter smacks a tee shot high into the Kentucky Sky...

....and......

....well I haven't got a fecking clue as my TV turned itself off. When it could finally be roused from its electronic slumber it showed all three primary colours in three different locations on the screen. It was like trying to watch television after taking a cap of acid and then drinking twenty special brews.

It also made watching golf impossible as the only ball visible all the time was the green one (the red and blue balls being rendered almost invisible) yet in a strange quirk of light the only hole visible was red. Trying to follow a putt that even when it reached its destination was three inches away from itself (if that makes sense) proved impossible.

"I have become the destroyer of Korean electronic equipment"

Anyway, I did what any sane person would do, drove to the nearest electrical retailer, walked through the door, pointed at the nearest TV of comparable size, said "that one" and was home and set up inside of the hour.

Poulter won too :)

I am quite puzzled, however, by the extremely homophobic American crowd. Every time the Americans hit a good shot, the crowd would taunt the Europeans with a repeated, rhythmical chant of "You are gay! You are gay!" which seems exceptionally harsh - we haven't even got any Frenchmen in the side this year....

8 Comments:

At 20 September 2008 at 18:51, Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

How do you know they weren't calling the Americans gay? The standards of queer golf have improved beyond all recognition from "the mincing down the fairway" days.

 
At 20 September 2008 at 23:34, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

What, chanting that at a team stuffed with players wielding the not-at-all-camp names of Hunter, Boo, Chad and Phil?

Surely not? ;-P

 
At 22 September 2008 at 10:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That could explain why every time a Yank struck a ball the gallery shouted, "In the hole!" ...even when they were teeing off on a par 5. WTF!?

 
At 22 September 2008 at 12:35, Blogger weenie said...

Just need Tiger Woods to come out of the closet and that will shut up the chants....

 
At 22 September 2008 at 14:40, Blogger Glamourpuss said...

I thought golf was too dull for queers anyway.

Puss

 
At 22 September 2008 at 18:51, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

korma - they weren't shouting that because of the golf, if you see what I mean...

weenie - it seems to be a popular chant no matter which sport the Americans play. Maybe Brokeback Mountain stunted their emotional growth?

puss - and miss out on the possibility of wearing outrageous clothes? Sounds an ideal sport to me :)

 
At 23 September 2008 at 00:27, Blogger Nuvalostlamb said...

I tried playing golf once at some golf day organised by my workplace - as you can imagine I was shite and won the wooden spoon which sits proudly on my bookshelf (and NO GB I didnt paint it pink, tho its a pretty good idea), and I couldnt lift my arms for about 2 days.

Lets jus say I gave the term 'handicap' a whole new meaning in golf....WOuld def do it again tho.

 
At 23 September 2008 at 20:29, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

lamb - I like playing golf, so long as it's not raining and I'm in a happy mood.

So once a year then....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home