28 January 2007

Hmmm.

Well what a shit-arse week. After the fun and games of Wednesday day at work I headed into the village to watch the Spurs v Arsenal semi-final at the pub I usually watch the football at. It's also the place I stay when I can't get into the B&B, so I know the landlord quite well.

I start the match sitting at the front with the other Spurs fans that I've come to know from the pub and we rapidly batter Arsenal's squad players and go 2-0 up inside twenty minutes. Then our best player gets injured and we try defending for 70 minutes. This doesn't work and we end up drawing 2-2 meaning we're as good as out. That was annoying enough.

But in the second half a bunch of Arsenal fans came into the pub from the other side and seeing that they'd pulled a goal back started singing and chanting, lead by a very fat guy wearing a skin tight Arsenal top (yuck). Now, fans chanting is part of the game and is fine and the Spurs fans joined in with a chorus of 'Spurs are on their way to Wembley' (our traditional Cup song). We were then greeted, for 20 minutes to a medley of:

"Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz, Hitler's going to gas them again"

"I'd rather be a Muslim than a Jew"

and "Gas them all, gas them all, gas them all"

I'm not a fan of racism at the best of times, but the whole pub thought this was hilarious. It's typical village mentality and I hate it - there aren't any blacks or asians in the village so they seem to think it's normal. After the match I was severely pissed off by this so took the landlord to one side to say that it wasn't really acceptable to have racist chanting going on in his pub and that (on top of everything that'd gone on this week I was fuming) I wasn't going to drink in his pub while he condoned that kind of behaviour. He told me the guy was captain of the darts team and that it was best if I didn't come back. Nice.

So now I need to find a new pub. Bloody Arsenal fans.

Thursday and Friday were equally annoying so I headed down t'smoke to see my Dad before he goes on the Plymouth-Banjul Rally for 5 weeks. We had a nice evening catching up and then this weekend has been tax returns, business meetings (more on that this week) and burning bread.

Early night methinks.

1 Comments:

At 29 January 2007 at 09:58, Blogger Unknown said...

Greetings,

I have to agree with you about the inappropriate behavior in the pub. Sorry you have to find a new one.

I would like to speak with you about publishing some articles on sports.

michelle@sportingo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home