18 June 2006

I'll write up what happened this weekend tomorrow.

Random Memory #1:

Not long after I'd moved back to Bristol I was still spending quite a lot of time at the university (well, my old hall actually) as lots of guys who were 1st years in my final year were, by then, in their final years. Seeing as one of them was JCR president I got invited to lots of hall events over that year and frequently took my new workmate Normy along.

One particular evening (I can't recall which one anymore - a hypnotist or a ska band I think) was poorly attended so little of the buffet was eaten. With approval of the students Normy and I piled loads of sandwiches, sausage rolls etc. onto a metal plate nearly a metre in length and walked back to mine with me carrying the front and Normy carrying the back. I'm still not sure to this day quite why we decided to do this. Drink, probably.

Anyway, on the way from my old hall to my flat we passed a few pubs that were chucking out about 11:30pm. Being the kindly souls we are (were?) we offered free sarnies to all and sundry including a bunch of five students one of whom was a german exchange student. After chatting jovially for a bit and helping them find the cheese and pickle sarnies at the bottom of the pile we set off in the rain (well, it was Bristol). As we left, one of the students turned to the german and said, pointing a finger and in accusatory tones,

"That's what being british means."

We were so proud.... :)

4 Comments:

At 19 June 2006 at 22:09, Blogger Charby said...

quality!

Where were you when I was always on the scrounge after being out drinking?

 
At 19 June 2006 at 22:18, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

In the civilisation that is Bristol, rather than in eastenders... :)

 
At 19 June 2006 at 22:29, Blogger Charby said...

what about when I was at Derby?

 
At 19 June 2006 at 22:32, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

Bristol University sandwiches going to Derby!?! :-O

Are you mad woman!?! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home