29 June 2008

Musings...

I said something to a friend yesterday over tea/beer which he thought was amusing, and which led to my puzzlement at his amusement. I said:

"I'm more 'me' online than I am in real life."

It's a sentiment that I think that most of the bloggers who read this will understand, and the non-bloggers (and friends) who read this almost certainly won't.

[In the context of the conversation I wasn't actually meaning this blog, but more on email/MSN/whatever. Too many people on here know exactly who I am for me to not censor myself thoroughly (and this is mainly the reason I'm seriously considering giving this up at the moment).]

Oh yes, and blogger stopped emailing me a while back when people left comments and nothing I can do appears to resurrect it. So if I miss a comment you may have left on an earlier post then apologies - I'm not being rude and do periodically scan back to see if someone has added one, but I have/will miss the odd one here and there. If it's something you wanted answering then email me.

7 Comments:

At 29 June 2008 at 17:47, Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Too many people on here know exactly who I am

You as well! Miss Papercuts has complained of the same problem, particularly from ex-boyfriends. A plague on these infernal nosey parkers! Why can't they start their own blogs instead of eavesdropping?

 
At 29 June 2008 at 17:55, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

Well they're people I've told about it for various reasons (to start with it was to keep people updated while I was contracting) so I'm not complaining about it per se, just acknowledging that it affects what I post here.

Apart from stalker girl, anyone is welcome to read it - it's just not all of 'me'.

 
At 29 June 2008 at 18:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fancy meeting you here Mr Bananas!

I wonder if Red Squirrel's blog-wobbles are caused by an ex-boyfriend? :D

*pulls on running shoes*

 
At 29 June 2008 at 18:37, Blogger P said...

I remember my ex read some reviews and stories and things I had over on another site and told me he felt like he knew me more from reading those things than he did from talking to me in person. I wasn't quite sure how to take that, but i do feel I am more myself in my fully paranoid, neurotic glory online than i am in the real world. . .

 
At 29 June 2008 at 19:39, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

papercuts - oh you'd better run, and run good... *shakes fist*

paula - which must have made what happened on your last blog all the more acute?

 
At 30 June 2008 at 12:00, Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Hmmm, this is one I have trouble with. In some ways, one can be more real because one doesn't have to obey all the niceties of face-to-face communication, but words can never convey everything, so in some ways there will always be holes.

Does that make any sense?

Puss

 
At 30 June 2008 at 16:27, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

Puss - it does. I guess I mean that I would be more likely to voice a real opinion or act as myself on an initial email than I would if I, for example, met you face-to-face. Maybe it comes down to how shy someone is....

Once I know someone I don't have a problem being myself. Until that point I'll always be quiet as I gauge the person's likely actions, reaction and - most importantly - sense of humour.

I make a great blind date companion *rolls eyes*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home