30 May 2008

Apparently some product placement ad aimed at gay men is out at the cinema this weekend.

Which is great.

Less great is the upping of the expectation level women will now have for a few weeks after watching it. Yes, I'm sure the characters in the film deserve a multi-millionaire sugar-daddy devoted to them (while lining up a succession of young virile men who aren't thinking 'ewww, this bit sags'), but then they're in New York, they're good looking, they look after themselves, they all have fabulous hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars jobs in the media (without doing any work) and they're - y'know - fricking fictional characters. You, dear, on the other hand, are a dumpy checkout girl with a squint - embrace reality!

As an aside, when exactly did it become an accepted truth that everyone has that perfect person out there for them, the 'one' true partner? It's pretty dangerous at a societal level to have so many people unhappy because they're not achieving the impossible dream (I'm not saying the 'one' doesn't exist but just looking around shows that it doesn't happen very often and that 99.9%+ of couples accept someone less than perfect). Sigh. It just seems like far too many people ignore what's really important in the world to search for something that's not there. I suppose it makes them easier to sell things to and easier to control but it's so frustrating to see people wasting chunks of their life rejecting people for not being perfect, then suddenly reaching an age when they panic and hook up with someone they would've rejected only a few years ago.

Yeah, I'm a cynical bastard. Sue me.

4 Comments:

At 30 May 2008 at 19:43, Blogger . said...

I'm about to say something sensible. Actually two things.

1) I know to which fillum you refer and I'd really rather not bother. As you said, THEY'RE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS! STOP TREATING THEM LIKE SELF-HELP GURUS! (Says me, after my last blog post...but at least the authors of those books are real. The characters in this film, are, let's face it, over-the-hill slagwagons).

2) I don't have a soulmate. I have six billion. (Woo, spacey, hippy-trippy bullshit there, huh)? I don't believe in 'the one' and never have done.

And you never know, that dumpy checkout girl with a squint might make something of her life. If she chooses to. I'm big on personal responsibility.

Just as long as she keeps her sweaty mitts of Joaquin Phoenix.

HE'S MINE, BITCH!

 
At 31 May 2008 at 07:06, Blogger Glamourpuss said...

SATC is vacuous and thus only the vacuous are drawn in to it. I could never understand why people said it was feminist - they may be 'doing it for themselves' but all they want is a man and will be miserable until they find a keeper. Patently, this is nonsense; as any smart woman knows, the only thing that really makes one happy is shoes, lots and lots of pretty, pretty shoes.

Puss

 
At 1 June 2008 at 12:50, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

Puss - are you my sister? ;-)

 
At 1 June 2008 at 19:38, Blogger Charby said...

i watched SATC once, my god it was full of ugly skanks, only obsessed about shoes and clothes.
It was bollocks and I totally agree with the comment by Puss, apart from the needing of shoes bit.

Clearly she meant to type ice cream in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home