12 July 2008

Happiness

Are you a happy person?

I don't mean right at this very moment, but in general. I've reached the conclusion that some people aren't happy unless they're miserable, that everything small and pleasurable in their lives is dismissed because it's not their personal utopia - yet their own utopia is dismissed as unreachable. So they 'make do' and are unhappy.

I'd like to think I'm a happy person. Sure, there have been times in my life when things haven't been great but that's been down to particular circumstances beyond my control. Once they were brought back under my control again and changed then - bingo! - back to happy.

I'd certainly claim to finding humour is just about every situation, and humour makes me happy. I know my sense of humour isn't to everyone's taste. I know my sometimes relentless teasing and attempts at jokes are not appreciated by some. I most certainly know that the surreal side of my humour is not understood by many - I meet more blank faces on a daily basis than the security guard on his rounds at Madame Tussauds.

But I digress. The point was that I now have my life pretty much how I want it. I'm happy doing what I'm doing, equally happy doing nothing. I'm not saying my life is perfect - not sure that's ever possible - but things could be a lot worse.

I'm a happy drunk (now my tendency to burst into tears between pints 9 and 11 if anyone paid me a compliment appears to have been cured by therapy), and I have the outlook on life of a fucking teletubby on anything stronger.

Most importantly, however, I'm happy on my own. I mean, I'm happy with other people too, but I quite like some time with just me, the cat, a cup of tea and a book. So happy on my own, in fact, that the thought of not being on my own fills me with a slight trepidation.

Anyway, why have I wandered aimlessly onto this topic? The following quote from Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island (which is both my favourite of his and so very true):

"One of the charms of the British is that they have so little idea of their own virtues, and nowhere is this more true than with their happiness. You will laugh to hear me say it, but they are the happiest people on earth. Honestly. Watch any two Britons in conversation and see how long it is before they smile or laugh over some joke or pleasantry. It won't be more than a few seconds. I once shared a railway compartment between Dunkirk and Brussels with two French­ speaking businessmen who were obviously old friends or colleagues. They talked genially the whole journey, but not once in two hours did I see either of them raise a flicker of a smile. You could imagine the same thing with Germans or Swiss or Spaniards or even Italians, but with Britons ­- never."

6 Comments:

At 13 July 2008 at 09:29, Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Truly, you are on the path to enlightenment. Even a breath of sweet air can be a joy if you realise it. Especially when you've just been smelling buffalo shit.

 
At 13 July 2008 at 11:08, Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Hmmm, I would say I'm happier on the whole, but happy? Well, life is a curate's egg, no?

Can relate to the bit about feeling trepidation at having to give up living alone - my space is very important to me.

Puss

 
At 13 July 2008 at 13:04, Blogger P said...

I tend to notice when I'm happy more often than I notice I'm miserable because happiness is rarer for me. But I recognise and appreciate the times I am happy MORE as a result. And I definitely agree with Bill Bryson's observation because when I'm with my friends, there is rarely a point when we are not laughing over something. But then perhaps that's because I'm just so damn hilarious . . .

 
At 13 July 2008 at 16:27, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

gb - buffalo shit? You clearly *have* worked in my office then...

Puss - well one can only be happy by one's own standards I guess.

paula - that must be it ;-) But when you're miserable do you look to not be immediately or prefer a little wallow in misery for a while first?

 
At 22 July 2008 at 09:34, Blogger SG said...

HA-ha *in a Nelson Muntz voice* you've stumbled upon one of my biggies: my lifelong depression and how it affects those around me. it's gotten to the point at which, whenever i actually feel happy, i txt about 20, 30 people, announcing that shit, just so they know i'm not always bummed out 24/7.

then again, in answer to your 'are you a happy person?' a friend of mine (one of those who runs BlairWatch) recently wrote, asking me 'how can anyone who reads the news be happy these days?' as he knows, i quit reading news almost two years ago and am a far happier person for doing so. he? still wallowing in misery, poor thing.

i personally am quite happy by myself home alone w/Hunter. it's when other people (who don't know me very well) intrude upon my reality and relentlessly suggest things to get me out of the house, thus making me feel somewhat inadequate. lesson learnt? i avoid them in future; they might wonder why but hey, i'll be happy my way, thankyou very much. ;-)

then again, when w/my real friends, i'm w/Paula agreeing w/Bill Bryson (one of my faves). BTW, you might pick up a small book called The Xenophobe's Guide to the English--hilarious and almost as funny as The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans which is a book i totally cannot read in public; last time i did, people moved away from me on the Tube as i was LOL. worse yet, i didn't care.

 
At 22 July 2008 at 17:26, Blogger Red Squirrel said...

I shall look out fot it SG :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home