12 September 2005

The Experiment of Untold Riches!

I'm not a gambling person, mainly because I have an addictive personality and too many vices could cause me a lot of trouble and heartache.

But having given up drinking I'm left with no real vices (I don't count whipping Max Mosely as a vice ok? *Someone* has to draw the short straw....). So I thought I'd try gambling, but within strict rules so as to stop me betting my flat on whether 'the girl at the bar is wearing a thong or not'.

I also noted that in fact you only need 16 50/50 correct bets to win a million pounds (yes, my mind works like that). In fact, with an initial stake of just £25, correctly calling heads/tails 16 times and always betting the full amount will net you just over £1.6 million.

This is clearly not easy. And that was clearly the understatment of the century.

However I shall be attempting this once a month and posting the results on this post. The rules are:

a) Initial stake is never higher than £25
b) All winnings are staked for the next bet
c) Each bet must be evens or thereabouts. Too many below evens and it'd take more than 16 bets.
d) There is no time-limit is on this. If there's no decent bet around then I'll wait.
e) Once lost, I cannot start again until the next pay-day.


Round 1 - Bet 1

Date: 26/04/08
Game: Spurs v Bolton
Bet: Spurs to win
Odds: 4-5

Stake: £25
Result: Spurs 1-1 Bolton
Winnings: None (arse)

Round 2 - Bet 1

Date: 03/05/08
Game: Reading v Spurs
Bet: Draw at half time
Odds: Evens

Stake: £25
Result: Reading 0 - 1 Spurs
Winnings: None (must stop betting on Spurs)

Round 3 - Bet 1

Date: 11/05/08
Game: Spurs v Liverpool
Bet: Draw at full time
Odds: 23-10

Stake: £25
Result: Spurs 0-2 Liverpool
Winnings: None (really will not bet on Spurs again. Grrrrrrr)


Okay, minor confession time. I had a little bit left over in a betting account and over the last couple of weeks I've been making small little bets (which I've all won so far). If that takes off I may add it on here too. Anyway....

Round 4 - Bet 1

Date: 08/06/08
Game: Germany v Poland Euro 08 Group Stage
Bet: Germany to win at full time
Odds: 1.53 (a bit low I realise)

Stake: £25
Result: Germany 2-0 Poland (a winner! Get right in!)
Winnings: £13.33

Round 4 - Bet 2

Date: 09/06/08
Game: Romania v France Euro 08 Group Stage
Bet: France to win at full time
Odds: 1.83

Stake: £38.33
Result: Romania 0-0 France
Winnings: None (bloody French!)

Round 5 - Bet 1

Date: 12/07/08
Game: England v South Africa, 1st Test at Lord's
Bet: At 58-3, next man out is Ashwell Prince
Odds: 1.72

Stake: £25
Result: Next man out was Neil McKenzie = cock!
Winnings: None (bloody seffricans)

Round 6 - Bet 1

Date: 05/09/08
Game: US Open
Bet: Nadal to win US Open
Odds: 2.1

Stake: £25
Result:
Winnings:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home